[rescue] Gigabit Ethernet SBus & Gigabit Ethernet Sun 420R/220R

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri May 2 18:10:19 CDT 2008

On May 2, 2008, at 16:41 , Jonathan Katz wrote:

> On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 4:35 PM, Shannon Hendrix
> <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
>> One problem is that I cannot enable jumbo frames in Solaris.  I can't
>> figure out how to do it.
>>
>> Other people report this NIC can do it, so there must be a way
>> unless the
>> Solaris driver just can't do it.
>
> http://www.sun.com/products/networking/ethernet/jumbo/index.html

Tons of great information, but none of it what I'm looking for, unless
you had something specific in mind.

That URL references little but Sun hardware that I can see.

I'm looking specifically to find out why it doesn't work on my
adapter, even though it supports jumbo frames and the driver
configuration has jumbo support parameters (not all of them do, even
if the hardware supports it).

In /kernel/dev/bcme.conf

RxJumboDescCnt=128;
MaxJumboFrameSize=9000,9000,9000,...

That should be, according to what I've read, all I need to do.  Bump
the descriptor count a little and make sure the MTU can be set high.

I don't know if there is something else I need to do or not.

I got the latest driver from last November, and it's supposed to
support what I'm doing.

Is it possible I need to set MaxJumboFrameSize to something larger
than 9000?

Another variable somewhere maybe?

The documentation on all of this is scattered pretty badly.  For
example, it took me a long time to figure out for some hardware that I
need to make changes in /kernel/drv.

It's worth a visit there if you've never peaked before.

Obviously, study first before playing and make backups... :)

Feel free to slap me with a herring if I'm supposed to be using a tool
to edit those variables... :)