[rescue] FW: WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri May 2 15:27:48 CDT 2008

On May 1, 2008, at 20:20 , Carl R. Friend wrote:

>   On Thu, 1 May 2008, Skeezics Boondoggle wrote:
>
>> Silence in a datacenter is always a little eerie, though...
>
>   Silence in a big computer room is one of the most creepy
> sensations I've ever had.  Even *scheduled silence* is creepy.

I'm still not decided when it is more creepy: these days with lot's of
little machines, or the old days with one or a few big ones.

The first time I was in a large mainframe/mini room and we shut it
down, the first thing in my head was, "It's so quiet.  I wonder if it
will ever run again..."

Of course, if the sound really doesn't come back, it's kind of an
auditory notation that your job won't be coming back either... :)

>   The time we scheduled downtime to do work on the power
> infrastructure was different, and we used the time as a test
> some of the mechanisms to SCRAM the room.  We gracefully halted
> the machines first, and then pegged *THE BUTTON*; the room went
> dark (lit again by the battery-powered lamps mind you), the
> A/C spun down, and the machines went dark.  One could literally
> hear a pin drop in the room.  It was frightening.  (I get the
> willies at home when there's no fan or disk noise, so I guess
> the "need" is in-born.)

Seems like it.

Two weeks ago I retired my last Sun machines.  I replaced them with
one machine that is faster than all of them, and also nearly silent.

Even though I like the quiet and can get more work done, it took me
several days to get used to it.

Now I can hear other pieces of equipment that I never knew made any
noise.

Ideally I'll get some Sun or other nice gear again in the future, but
it's so expensive and I like quiet machines near me.

Then again, I might move to a place where I can build a computer
room.  I'm pretty hopeless like that.