[rescue] FW:  WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri May 2 08:17:07 CDT 2008

>From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm at mendelson.com>
>Date: 2008/05/02 Fri AM 07:10:03 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] FW:  WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100

>On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 11:29:59AM +0100, Mark wrote:
>
>> There's nothing wrong with Rev 1 boards as long as you don't use the
>> slow IDE buses (never EVER put a slave drive on it) for anything and
>> avoid putting more than one device on the FireWire, or overloading the
>> USB with data. TBH I think the Firewire was still broken on the G4/PCI
>> version of that board, I've never got me Rev 2 B&W FireWire to work
>> right even.
>
>But would you spend money on any upgrades to one?

What, like actual folding money? ;^)

I have a hard time justifying any real expense on mid-generation G4 computers, and an easy time justifying not spending any money to upgrade a G3.

I can see upgrading one part of a mid-generation G4 (by mid generation I mean the 400-800 MHz speed CPUs, and those are just guidelines, not hard numbers). By that I mean, I can see upgrading the video, the RAM, OR the drive controller (to SATA/SCSI) in an otherwise satifactory system, but not if you have to upgrade more than one thing to have a satisfactory system.

That said, I haven't gotten around to installing the SATA controller I got a while ago for my G4 "sawtooth" system, though I suspect I should (I have all the pieces, just haven't done it yet)...

Lionel