[rescue] Translation clarification

Earl D. Baugh Jr. earl at baugh.org
Thu Mar 27 23:05:54 CDT 2008

Phil wrote:

> John Floren wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 3:13 PM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net
>> > wrote:
>>> Gotta love that stuff, yeah.  "Thou shalt not kill.  (Unless you
>>> claim
>>> to be doing it in my name.  'Cos that makes it all OK, right?)"
>>
>> As I understand it, the original interpretation (as they apparently
>> still read it in Judaism) is "You shall not murder".
>
> Yup.  However, just try to find a bible in any Western church that
> translates the word *correctly*.
>
> It's one of many known mis-translations.

Since I'm not on geeks, and I think the question of accuracy is always
important,
(and of course being a fan of  Myth Busters and  www.snopes.com,
doesn't help me from pointing things like this out  8-) )
I would like to point out that this particular translation issue is in
fact correctly translated
in what is claimed to be the most popular modern English translation.

To wit: The NIV translation correctly translates this as : "You shall
not murder"
(see: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus%2020:13;&version=31;)

and according to Wikipedia (which is not immune to misstating facts,
so take it as a source of truth accordingly)
	According to Zondervan, publisher of the NIV, the translation has
become the most popular modern English
	translation of the Bible, having sold more than 215 million copies
worldwide. It is especially popular among
	American Evangelicals. It continues to be one of the top ten selling
bibles.[1][10]

In addition:  It is also correctly translated (or quoted in
paraphrased versions) in:
1) The American Standard Bible
2) The Message
3) English Standard Version
4) Contemporary English Version
5) New Living Translation
6) New King James Version

Which, with the NIV,  I believe would represent a strong majority of
current Western Churches.

Is is true that it is incorrectly translated in the King James version
(and some others).
But that isn't a version that one finds as the translation of choice
in most Western churches,
at least in the U.S.

Earl