[rescue] Airport Security and Rescues...

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 19:01:50 CDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 3:29 PM, Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 01:26:44PM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> > Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> >
> > >There have been Muslims in the world for a very long time.  How is it
> > >that only recently we have this problem?  We didn't have Muslims
> tearing
> > >through towns and setting them alight "for Allah" 100 years ago or
> > >bombing stagecoaches or the like.  Rather than enslave the world in
> > >surveillance and fear, perhaps we should try to solve the root of that
> > >problem?
> > >

> > Last time they gave the West problems, they were booted out of what is
> > now southern Spain and several wars were fought, called Crusades.
>
> Err, didn't north African Muslims give us trouble from shortly after the
> revolutionary war until sometime in the early 1800s?  I believe it was
> often refered to as the Algerian threat.

These were the Berber pirates.
The Berbers ruled the southern Mediterranean.
Most European paid a tribute/access fee/bribe not to be pirated.
The USA was young and the Navy was new.
They (Naval or Politicos or Administration) wanted to make a name for the
USA.
The USA Navy "swept the seas" and the Berbers relented.
This gave all European fee-free passage of the southern Mediterranean
becuase the USA Navy took care of the situation.
Today Algeria is the area today's BerBers reside.

A centurty later,