[rescue] Airport Security and Rescues...

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Thu Mar 27 11:02:06 CDT 2008

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> But El-Al security is *effective*.  TSA is 90% useless security
>> theater.  If there's a ridiculous and intrusive "security measure"
>> that doesn't actually make anyone any safer, TSA will find it and use
>> it, but they won't use the effective methods Israel uses because of
>> the risk that somebody might get offended, and because picking out
>> people who are acting funny requires people with actual training and
>> skills, not minimum-wage drones following a list of (frequently
>> nonsensical and frequently useless) rules on a clipboard.
>
> I'd go even further.  I think the TSA would avoid using anything
> effective even if it's *not* going to offend anyone.  I think
> effectiveness might be contrary to their goals.

Honestly, I think you're right.  I just wasn't going to say so right there.

I think right now, the government has a lot invested in keeping people
afraid, because the more afraid they can keep people, the more power
they can persuade people to hand them in return for a handwavium promise
of safety.  A scared America is a compliant America.

I also think they've got a tiger-by-the-tail problem, because if the
American public as a whole ever wakes up and realizes just how far
they've been hoodwinked, they're going to be mad as hell.

The poli-ticks thought they were seeing a lot of voter rage last
election?  They ain't seen NOTHING yet.

--
   Phil Stracchino, CDK#2         ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
   alaric at caerllewys.net            alaric at metrocast.net
           It's not the years, it's the mileage.