[rescue] AlphaServer ES40 in Chicago- Anyone interested?

Michael-John Turner mj at turner.org.za
Thu Mar 27 05:36:00 CDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 02:58:18PM -0600, Robert Darlington wrote:
> But I have a real soft spot for SGI stuff, worthless or not, it's
> beautifully designed. They seem like, arguably, the absolute high
> point of workstation design in their era-- especially the Octanes and
> onyx. The NeXT is pretty beautifully designed too.

Couldn't agree with you more. As a high school kid I can remember lusting
after the Indy, which SGI was advertising in Byte in those days (91/92
IIRC).  SGIs certainly aren't the toughest machines, what with all that
plastic, but for me they're the perfect mix between form and function - the
power of Unix but with multimedia support (for want of a better term) and
lots of style.  And as odd as it is, I quite like IRIX and 4Dwm.

Would love a NeXT machine, but I never managed to find one when I was in
South Africa and they don't seem to pop up on eBay too often now that I'm
in the UK. I do still have an SS5/110 and a copy of NeXTSTEP 3.3 for SPARC
that I must get around to playing with though....

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner
mj at mjturner.net     | http://mjturner.net/