[rescue] On 'home datacentres'...

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Mar 26 19:25:02 CDT 2008

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008, kevin at pipeline.com wrote:

> My favorite is always the "antique" atomic clock and PDP rack in the
> living room.

The clock stops being so attractive once you've moved it a couple of
times, especially as it doesn't fit through doors upright, and really
requires two people on either end to hold it, who can't then fit through
doors side-by-side.

What was more fun, though, was the solid rack of VAX 4000[0].  Nearly as
heavy as the Atomichron, it slipped off the edge of the liftgate,
crashed into the concrete floor of the garage, and chipped off an
impressively-sized piece of floor.  The DEC rack, of course, was
unharmed.

I'd just like to see the J90 running.

[0] I disremember whether we didn't de-rack the individual components
     out of stubbornness or because the pieces wouldn't budge.
--
Jonathan Patschke | "There is no such thing as a short of reserves...
Elgin, TX         |  one bank can have a problem...the Fed can print