[rescue] AlphaServer ES40 in Chicago- Anyone interested?

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Wed Mar 26 16:17:09 CDT 2008

At 03:32 PM 3/26/2008 , Ian Finder wrote:

>But I have a real soft spot for SGI stuff, worthless or not, it's
>beautifully designed. They seem like, arguably, the absolute high
>point of workstation design in their era-- especially the Octanes and
>onyx. The NeXT is pretty beautifully designed too.
>
>Anyone here agree on either point?

The Octane design and execution seems like a bit of a let-down:  noisy,
collects lots of dust internally, no room for an internal cd/dvd drive,
fragile skin, fragile compression connectors, poor TRAM reliability, early
units had problems with the BGA devices, and to top it all off, they used a
crummy incandescent bulb in the light bar.

I still like my low-spec unit, however.

--
newell  N5TNL