[rescue] AlphaServer ES40 in Chicago- Anyone interested?

Robert Darlington rdarlington at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 15:58:18 CDT 2008

But I have a real soft spot for SGI stuff, worthless or not, it's
beautifully designed. They seem like, arguably, the absolute high
point of workstation design in their era-- especially the Octanes and
onyx. The NeXT is pretty beautifully designed too.

Anyone here agree on either point?
<snip>

I agree :)   I'm an sgi collector that went from resurrecting an old
4d/70 twin tower box (12.5MHz!) and learning IRIX 4.0.5 for the first
time to being a lead SysAdmin for BlueMountain 3 years later.  All of
my sgi gear is in storage, probably to never be turned on again.  If
you're ever in northern New Mexico, you're welcome to take your pick
of the litter.  4d/440 (quad R3000 desk side @ 33MHz), Onyx (quad
R10000 @ 195MHz w/ RE2 board set with 7 RM4 boards (4 installed)), and
a crapload of other smaller machines.

-Bob