[rescue] Wanted: Xeon 7xxx Heatsink

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Mar 26 14:01:39 CDT 2008

I've rescued (dumpster-diving, yay!) a fairly nice PC that I'd like to
get running.  It's a Proliant ML570 (SCSI, not SAS, unfortunately).
It's a fairly low-end config and is missing the heatsink for the first
processor.

Since the useful parts for this thing (memory risers, processors, etc.)
for it are fairly expensive, I'd really like to know how functional it
is before I pour any real money into it.  However, the CPU in this guy
has a TDP of about 160 watts!  I guess I can't even test-fire it without
a heatsink unless I want to roast the CPU.

Does anyone know of a source of compatible heatsinks?  HP sells them in
kits with the processors, and I've never seen a Xeon 7xxx system to know
how well they'd interchange between vendors.

--
Jonathan Patschke | "There is no such thing as a short of reserves...
Elgin, TX         |  one bank can have a problem...the Fed can print