[rescue] adding power redundancy to single power supply systems ?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 24 19:02:19 CDT 2008

>From: Ethan O'Toole <ethan at 757tech.net>
>Date: 2008/03/24 Mon PM 06:52:36 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] adding power redundancy to single power supply systems ?

<snip>

>Since it's APC I assume there is something in there that covers it during
>the switch. I don't know what happens if you have power coming in at
>different phases... I assume it sends the glitch thru.

Dunno about phases (talking above my pay grade ;^), but it seems to me that ideally the APC-type unit would essentially be a relay feeding into a tiny UPS (a big capacitor?) to provide adequate power for the split-second the relay is switching over.

Trying to think this through, you'd have "municipal" power on one lead and "backup" power on the other (backup being a generator feeding a UPS), with the backup power being the "known good" power source and the UPS ensuring there is power as the generator kicks-in...

Lionel