[rescue] a 'data' rescue

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 24 13:16:12 CDT 2008

>From: der Mouse <mouse at Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
>Date: 2008/03/24 Mon AM 11:57:06 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] a 'data' rescue

>>> Have you considered backing up over the Internet?  WorksForMe(TM).
>> I have almost 10TB of data.  That would *so* not work for me, from a
>> cost perspective.
>
>Just having 10T of data doesn't mean that doing it over the net
>wouldn't work.  If the rate of changes is low, only the initial copy
>would be expensive; updates could - should - be sent as deltas.

Why start with an empty box? You could prime the remote data store locally, then simply send deltas/updates across public networks... (i.e. build the box, place it next to the local server, sync it up with primary storage over fast Gigabit (or better) connections, then ship to remote facility and sync up from then on)

Just a thought,

Lionel