[rescue] rescue Digest, Vol 64, Issue 27

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Mon Mar 24 12:14:00 CDT 2008

On Monday 24 March 2008, Peter Corlett wrote:
> I've got a half-dozen Maxtors lying around that I refuse to put in
> any of *my* systems.
>
> I gave one of the Maxtors away after giving it a once-over with DBAN,
> and it failed within a week of real use. This can be considered
> fairly typical for that brand.

It depends a lot on the drive...

I'm willing to bet that the drive that failed was one of the
Maxor-rebadged Quantum Fireball drives just after Maxtor bought them
up.

That being said, I don't buy anything new except for 5-year warranty
Seagate drives anymore.  Not having a WDC drive is worth the extra
money to me.  However, I have yet to buy a drive since Seagate bought
up Maxtor.

Pat