[rescue] a 'data' rescue

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Mon Mar 24 11:58:56 CDT 2008

On 24 Mar 2008, at 16:47, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Peter Corlett wrote:
>> On 24 Mar 2008, at 14:45, Rick Hamell wrote:
[...]
>> Have you considered backing up over the Internet? WorksForMe(TM).
> I have almost 10TB of data.  That would *so* not work for me, from a
> cost perspective.

Amazon S3 is $0.15/GB/month, so 10TB would be $1,500/month.

For domestic use, that'd be prohibitive, but commercially it's not
that bad a deal. It really depends on how valuable one's data really
is and how much of the hoarded data is actually valuable.

I've just added 1TB to the stash, although the actual critical data is
about 5-10GB tops. The rest is basically a level four cache between my
CPU and the Internet :)