[rescue] a 'data' rescue

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 17:05:21 CDT 2008

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
> A coworker of mine has put me to the task of recovering data (personal,
> not company)
> from their laptop which has a failing hard drive.
>
> I did clone it to an identical sized drive (using ghost with -ia -ib
> -fro), then used
> norton disk doctor on the clone.  I got 5 G of stuff... but was looking
> for up to
> 6 times that.  One thing that seem to have not found the way back was
> the iTunes
> library he wanted.  Oddly, the disk has almost no free space, but if you
> select all
> and look at the size, it's half of what you'd expect from drive properties.
>
> In everyone's experience out there, what are the best tools (free,
> shareware, and
> commercial) for recovering data from corrupted NTFS filesystems ?  How does
> diskeeper (a friend of mine has that on his system) compare to Disk Doctor.

I've used two NTFS recover programs which I've had good luck with.
First, GetDataBack for NTFS--it's a program I bought for myself after an
unfortunate drive crash some years ago.  I have also used a forensic
tool recommended by a friend of mine who works in security incident
response.  It's called "EnCase Forensics".

=Nadine=