[rescue] Netra as a router/firewall for home use

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Mon Mar 10 09:49:52 CDT 2008

Michael-John Turner wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 09:39:10PM -0400, Jonathan Katz wrote:
>
>> An Ultra 1 should be able to handle about half that; at the time we didn't
>> recommend putting gigabit ethernet cards in the Ultra 1-series although we
>> knew it would work.
>>

> Hmmm... Chatting to a friend, it may well be my firewall ruleset. The
> machine has been pared down a bit etc, but I still can't get more than
> 1.2MB/s (~ 10Mbps) out of it.

Is it a Ultra 1 Enterprise (U1E) ?  or regular Ultra 1 ?

If memory serves me correct, the U1E (models 140E, 170E, and 200E) had
100baseTX...
but the straight Ultra 1 (models 140 and 170) only had 10baseT.

If you only have straight Ultra 1, that would explain  why you top out
at 10Mbps.

If you have a U1E... then see if you can verify if you are getting a 100Mbit
connection with the hme interface.

The fact your topping out at 10Mbps seems to indicate your ethernet is
probably
not exceeding that in it's speed, and that it isn't relevant to the
firewall ruleset.

-- Curt