[rescue] Netra as a router/firewall for home use

Michael-John Turner mj at turner.org.za
Sun Mar 9 19:54:02 CDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 06:15:37PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> In the past, OpenBSD's hme driver has been buggy.  That may be fixed now.
> As long as I avoided the hme, though, I've never had problems with multiple
> NICs under OpenBSD.  My firewall/router box is an Ultra5 with four NICs
> running OpenBSD, and it Just Works.

As a matter of interest, what performance do you get out of the U5? My
NetBSD/sparc64-running U1 is starting to take some strain since I upgraded
my ADSL connection. My connection is 'up to 24Mbps' and I normally sync at
around 14.5Mbps downstream, but the U1 only manages arond 1.2MB/s if I'm
lucky. My grotty Thomson modem/router manages around 1.5-1.6MB/s, but I'd
prefer to use my own firewall/router running NetBSD with pf.

FWIW, the U1 is a 170E with onboard hme and SBus qfe.

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner
mj at mjturner.net     | http://mjturner.net/