[rescue] Short-depth 1U x86 Systems

Jonathan Sturges jonathansturges at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 9 09:46:50 CDT 2008

> Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 18:46:41 -0600
> From: Zach Lowry
> Subject: [rescue] Short-depth 1U x86 Systems
> To: The Rescue List
>
> I'm looking for suggestions on a short depth x86 box. Similar to a
> Netra X1 (1CPU, Dual HDs) but with a little more oomph. Maybe
> something in the 1+GHz range. Anyone have any ideas on  such a system?
>
> Oh, and I should mention, it should be able to run OpenBSD. That rules
> out Nokia appliances and Cobalt x86 boxes.
>
> --Zach

I would think most of the 1U chassis designed for Mini-ITX boards would be short-depth, though I haven't looked at these lately.  I remember someone makes a dual (side-by-side) Mini-ITX 1U, which is kinda neat.
The VIA Mini-ITX systems are somewhat underpowered (though over 1 GHz), but Intel even has a few Mini-ITX boards now that should be better (see http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/D201GLY2/index.htm).  The Intel boards should be plenty fast for you.  Don't know specifically if any of these can run OpenBSD though.

-Jonathan