[rescue] Ultra 60 memory

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Mar 9 08:30:11 CDT 2008

>From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
>Date: 2008/03/09 Sun AM 04:05:08 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Ultra 60 memory

>On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 02:04:23AM -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
>> I think the main problem is that you're expecting a 10 year old machine
>> (I just looked it up on SunSolve, and the U60 was introduced in June
>> 1998!) to be fast with modern (bloated) software.... :)
>> Pat (who runs Debian on his Ultra 60(s))
>
>Hey now, I have an U10/440Mhz with 1G RAM and SCSI disks that runs Solaris
>10 as a sandbox machine.. 8-)

Which is not the same as using it as a desktop ;^)

That said, the Ultra 5/10 systems with ample RAM and a fast disk are quite decent (esp. if you add a Creator/Elite framebuffer to an Ultra 10), but still, they are a bit dated (perfromance-wise). It can be a fine machine, but (IMHO) it is hard to justify spending actual money on such a system these days, absent unusual requirements (i.e. support unusual hardware requirements, etc.)...

THink of it this way - if you had a minimal Ultra 10 and a P4 base sitting next to each other, and a $100 bill to upgrade *one* of the machines, you'd wind up with a much better system (speed-wise) by spending that $100 on the P4 base.

Lionel