[rescue] Ultra 60 memory

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Sun Mar 9 06:53:42 CDT 2008

Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 02:04:23AM -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
>> I think the main problem is that you're expecting a 10 year old machine
>> (I just looked it up on SunSolve, and the U60 was introduced in June
>> 1998!) to be fast with modern (bloated) software.... :)
>> Pat (who runs Debian on his Ultra 60(s))
>
> Hey now, I have an U10/440Mhz with 1G RAM and SCSI disks that runs Solaris
> 10 as a sandbox machine.. 8-)

My main workstation is still an Ultra 2 (2x400 MHz and 2G) running Sol
10. The Java desktop was indeed slow. I found switching to XFCE to be a
great improvement.

Firefox acceptable for me, but not great. Part of that problem is
missing or misconfigured plugins for certain things. CPU-intensive pages
will bog it down, but I am not in the habit of visiting to Myspace and
the like. It does have some type of memory leak and needs to be
restarted once in a while. Every few months I need to restart X to
reclaim memory, too.

Interesting that the biggest memory problem I have is with Acrobat. That
is the one program that will almost always cause swapping if I have
Firefox, Thunderbird and some terminal sessions running.

My sandbox, on the other hand, is a pair of dual proc Ultra 2s both
connected to a SSA110 and loaded from a U1 jumpstart server. I have been
learning about Sun Cluster and it has worked really nicely for that.

Steve