[rescue] Deciding how to place machines in a rack.

Robert Darlington rdarlington at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 11:19:31 CST 2008

Hey, just a side note about a fun experience a few years back.  I was
called in to try to figure out why this small compute cluster was
having issues and shutting down all the time due to thermal problems.
No amount of fans would help.  Here was the setup when I walked into
the room.  There were 5 or 6 rows of racks, about 5 racks wide each.
One rack in front of the other, pretty standard stuff.  Well, the
computer scientists that designed it thought it would look nice to
have them all face the front of the room.  The hot air from the first
rack was drawn right into the second row of racks, then into the third
and so on.  They just didn't get it.

The "big iron" ASCI Q machine was built similarly, but fronts of racks
faced fronts with a row of tiles between them with cold air coming up
through the floor, and backs faced backs.  Those hot isles were nice
to walk down in the winter.  You were guaranteed to be hot by the time
you got to the end of the row of racks!

-Bob