[rescue] Deciding how to place machines in a rack...

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Wed Mar 5 16:37:10 CST 2008

On Wednesday 05 March 2008, Brian Deloria wrote:
> I can see this making sense and being true for Steve's post
> definately with some proliants coming in at 7u.
>
> Does this also hold true for 1u servers, something that's higher
> density etc.?

Yes.  It'd be even more important for smaller servers that probably have
crappier airflow than a large machine.

> If we're talking about just relying on the fans that are internal to
> the machines does having spaces matter?  i.e. no forced air up
> through the floor etc.

Yes.  Like I said, the spaces between the machines only serve to act as
insulation.  Unless you force air through each of the spaces between
the machines, you might as well stuff them with fiberglass insulation,
because that's about the same effect that you'll have.

> Thanks,
>
> Brian

<snipped 119 lines>

Pat