[rescue] Deciding how to place machines in a rack...

Brian Deloria bdeloria at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 13:10:55 CST 2008

The carpeting should effectively absorb alot of the dust.

The space in between the machines 1u at least is simply to let the cases
pass heat off.  Unless you're looking for good looks or say channeling cold
air in through the front / subfloor / etc. the need to specifically force
the flow of air through the machines is not neccessary.  Cooling doesn't
seem to be a problem, but if you're going for asthetics then go for it..

You could probably call up a local hvac contractor or a sheet metal place
and have those metal pieces cut for you or get something from your local
home depot.  If you're just dealing with 1u increments you can purchase off
the shelf but you do have some options if you have something oddball like 9u
or 9.5u etc.

The only other thing that I'd maybe suggest is to make sure that your top
fan isn't alble to draw air from the front of the rack.  I don't have a
picture of your rack to go on but just to make sure it is expelling out the
top the exhaust air from the machines and not a mix of cold air from the
bottom up the front of the rack as well as from the back.