[rescue] rescue Digest, Vol 62, Issue 37

Scott Quinn compoobah at valleyimplants.com
Sun Jan 27 10:39:19 CST 2008

On Jan 27, 2008, at 6:01 AM, rescue-request at sunhelp.org wrote:

> When did that insanity start happening?
>
> Is there a purpose behind such an incredibly dangerous "feature"?

I've heard a similar thing (mfr-specific unlock code) is needed to
reconfigure later SGI Origin3000 series machines. That was probably
around 2002/2003, and my guess is the "purpose" has to do with the
marketing department and support contracts (or more specifically,
preserving support contract income). Hopefully the passwords get
leaked at the end-of-support date.

I know that there was a similar issue (password required) for
labeling disks on the early IRISes running GL2-W, but fortunately the
passwords leaked. Sun E10k had some sort of a hardware password in
the SSP.

Other instances?