[rescue] Cheap, fast, PC server

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Jan 27 09:24:31 CST 2008

>From: Angel Martin Alganza <ama at ugr.es>
>Date: 2008/01/27 Sun AM 05:16:18 CST
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Cheap, fast, PC server

>On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 11:55:39PM -0500, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
>> My big question in all this is why are people using VMs so much?
>
>What about live migration of VMs across different real servers?  Great
>for upgrades with almost zero downtime.  And, of course, the ability
>to run different operating systems (if that's at all needed) on the
>same hardware at the same time.

Personally, I like VMs for building up and tearing down test machines very
quickly - building, say, a linux server using an Ubuntu ISO file is really
very quick, much quicker than reading in an actual piece of media. In the
commercial world, a friend's company uses them for setting up test
environments "on the fly" and for resetting disk images to a known state for
running tests on new code.

Lionel