[rescue] Cheap, fast, PC server

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sun Jan 27 08:03:51 CST 2008

On Jan 26, 2008, at 11:55 PM, Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> My big question in all this is why are people using VMs so much?
>
> I can understand using them for some applications where you need to
> give someone a machine, and a virtual one will do.
>
> But for just splitting things up for management or security, it seems
> to me that things like Solaris zones and FreeBSD jails is a lot more
> efficient.
>
> It's also probably a lot faster.

I don't know anything about Jails.

Zones are nice.  Did they fix the issue about moving them from one
machine to another?

I find that there are times it isn't worth fighting with putting some
applications on Solaris.  Using a VM on a linux PC can make setting
up those linux applications easier.

Then there is the windows crap.  You certainly can't run that in a zone.