[rescue] Cheap, fast, PC server

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 22 12:32:27 CST 2008

>From: Aaron Finley <nerp at atfinley.com>
>Date: 2008/01/22 Tue AM 11:02:28 CST
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Cheap, fast, PC server

>Peter Corlett wrote:
>
>> That spec is slightly behind the curve, except for the RAM requirement. You
>> might need to compromise on "only" 4 or 8 GB unless you spend a lot on a
>> server motherboard.
>>

>Well, I just looked through my parts bin, and I have 2 Xeon 3.2/533s
>sitting around. Looking on eBay, looks like a SuperMicro X5DPR-8G2+
>would run me about $30. So all I'd need was the case, drives, and RAM
>(12GB). Can anyone recommend a quiet EATX case, or does such a thing not
>exist?

Check out the RAM requirement for that MB:

"DDR266/200 registered ECC SDRAM 72-bit, 184-pin gold-plated DIMMs"

At Crucial.com, that is pricey ($1,800 for 12 Gig of RAM, $600 for 6 Gig of RAM)[0] - of course, there are cheaper vendors, but 2 Gig DIMMs from that era will be expensive no matter where you go, I imagine.

Lionel

[0] http://crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=SUPER%20X5DPR-8G2%2B