[rescue] good sources for USIII + systems

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 12:13:45 CST 2008

Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2008, at 11:44 AM, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
>
>> Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>>> I don't know if it is because Sun had a sales slump, or for some
>>> other reason, but inexpensive USIII-based systems and those based on
>>> the T1 chip are still hard to find on eBay at least.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any good sources for such systems?  Minimum RAM
>>> capability needs to be 16GB RAM because I do a lot of zones etc.
>>> Right now it seems dual-Opterons with lots of RAM are at least half
>>> the cost.
>> Depends on what you mean by inexpensive.
>

> Well, allowing for some of the nicer features that Sun gear has (true
> LOM etc.), and comparing e.g. typical IO and memory bandwidth, the
> USIII stuff is overpriced compared to the similar performance you can
> get from Opterons running e.g. 64 bit Solaris.
>
> Example:
>
> cheapest Sun 16GB system is a 14U V880 with 16GB RAM, 8x900Mhz CPUs,
> 4x36GB disk  $2850
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/Sun-V880-Server-w-8x900MHZ-16GB-
> RAM-144GB_W0QQitemZ170186314927QQihZ007QQcategoryZ51239QQssPageNameZWDVW
> QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>
> similar in CPU power (probably a lot faster actually), quad-Opteron
> (though not a V40z as claimed in ad)  $1600 in a 3U or 4U chassis
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/Newisys-4300-Sun-V40Z-Quad-2-0GHz-16GB-2x73GB-
> Server_W0QQitemZ160201258598QQihZ006QQcategoryZ51238QQssPageNameZWDVWQQr
> dZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>
> Almost double, for a much larger and less compact system.

I think that probably has something to do with economies of scale.
Anyway, I just picked up a F6800 for $8000 with 48GB RAM and 24
processors, and I consider that to be a pretty good deal.

That's a much bigger configuration that what you're looking at, though.
  And it's definitely not compact.  And I don't think you can get an
Opteron system that big.

Peace...  Sridhar