[rescue] Cheap, fast, PC server

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Jan 22 11:12:45 CST 2008

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 11:46:41AM -0500, Aaron Finley wrote:
> I'm looking for a cheap PC to act as a server, meaning something under a
> $1000. Dell's octocore SC1430 fit the bill, but that offer seems no
> longer. Anyone know if it will come back around again?

Err, right now I see 8 procs for $929, 4 procs for $685.  Either
configuration is only 1gig of ram.   BTW, officially this machine maxes
at 8 gigs of ram in a 4x2gb configuration.  I don't know if it will work
with 4 gig sticks or not.

If you strictly need it to be under $1k, maybe take the free quad proc
upgrade, leaving the second socket open.  That gives you quad procs and
1 gig of ram and 1 80 gig harddrive for $685.  Then add a 4 gig upgrade
(taking you to 5 gigs) for $170.  Then add a 300 gig drive for $75.
Then, including approximations for shipping and tax (Dell will charge
that, Newegg probably won't), you should be just under $1000 for 4
procs, upgradable to 8, 5 gigs of ram, 400 gigs of disk space.
Upgrading to 8 procs will add about $250.
Upgrading to 8 gigs of ram will be about $150-200.
Upgrading to 2x160 +  2x750, in a mirrored boot and data configuration
will cost about $400ish.