[rescue] Laptops, was Re: iBasketcase

Steven M Jones smj+rescue at crash.com
Mon Jan 21 14:04:59 CST 2008

Ethan O'Toole wrote:

> Thinkpad > Macs.

Well... I use both. For reasons I have never been able to clearly figure
out, I cannot do "real work" on the Mac. If I need to code, I need to
have something descended from X Windows that I can bend to my will. But
if I'm traveling and just need something to open and use w/o fuss, I'll
generally reach for my 867MHz TiBook.

In an earlier thread somebody praised the TiBook's keyboard, and I
second this -- the keyboard in the aluminum PowerBooks kept me from
upgrading, and I'm not overly fond of what's in the MBP or MB.

> My MacBook (Works actually) has all sorts of fracture cracks and stuff. I
> hardly ever take it home. I'm afraid to move it, it might fall apart.

My T23 is falling apart - literally! All the plastic in the base is
cracking and coming apart. It and the TiBook should be within a year of
the same age, but it's plastic vs. metal and I used to take it on the
road constantly.

I'm in a quandry about replacing it. If I want to get work done on it
I'd pick a T61p, but I'd also like to have a new MBP. Tougher to justify
the latter, though -- I just can't get my brain and that interface to
work when I need to roll my sleeves up, and that's my only hope of
generating any revenue to justify the expenditure.

--S.