[rescue] iBasketcase

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 13:54:46 CST 2008

On 21 Jan 2008, at 18:43, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Bill Bradford wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 11:08:32AM -0500, Aaron Finley wrote:
>>> When a brand new dual Core2 T61 can be had for around $700, with
>>> someone's EPP discount and their PayPal/special of the week, why
>>> bother?
>>
>> Because it's not a Mac! 8-)
>
> Honestly, if I was going to spend the $700+ on a laptop, I'd sooner
> have
> the T61.  I'll fix this TiBook if I can, but the truth is I don't like
> Macs and never really have.  The hardware's usually OK, it's the
> interface metaphors of the OS that drive me buggy.

If you don't like Macs you may as well donate it to a recycler or
Powerbook service center for spares. Any modern x86 will outperform it
on non-Mac areas so it's not worth your time IMHO. I only patched mine
up because it still works so well with OS X (surprisingly so for a
2001 model). If you want a tough-but-not-new road warrior a Thinkpad
of the late PIII era with 1GB RAM and XP SP2 or your favourite brand
of Linux/BSD/UNIX would probably more than suffice much better, and
for cheap.

If ever a laptop shouted 'Mac' to me it was the TiBook. It was
sleeker, faster and nicer than anything around at the time but it
didn't last the course, like most Apple laptops. No similar age and
spec Thinkpad I've ever seen had broken hinges or chafed video cables
unless it had been in a road accident :P

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://mdblog.68kmac.org>