[rescue] iBasketcase

Aaron Finley nerp at atfinley.com
Mon Jan 21 10:08:32 CST 2008

>> At a quick survey of salvage places etc, even with used parts, it
>> looks
>> like it'd need about $700 in parts to resurrect it, even before
>> considering RAM and hard disk.  Considering comparable TiBooks can be
>> found in the $200-$300 range on eBay, this doesn't seem cost-
>> effective.
>
> The hinge repair isn't too much money if you shop around but it's a
> lot of work. Do that and the new display cable and a cheap hard drive
> and it'll make a good wireless home workstation (althoguh it will
> incinerate your lap after a while). Mine is used a roaming desktop,
> because I can't afford to pay what retailers want for a non-explosive
> battery. That said,m when working they are a beautiful machine to use.
> Very fast and the keyboard is a joy ti type on.

When a brand new dual Core2 T61 can be had for around $700, with
someone's EPP discount and their PayPal/special of the week, why bother?

Mine came out to $750 this last week, with the WSXGA+ screen. $40 later
from NewEgg, and I have 3GB of RAM in it. It's scary quick -- I'm
running a testdrive of SAP NetWeaver on Suse via VMWare, and everything
is still running fast.

-- Aaron