[rescue] AS/400? Anyone?

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Mon Jan 21 06:46:07 CST 2008

On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 10:51:44PM +0000, Mike Meredith wrote:
[...]
> The traditional view (at least over here) is that American beer is mostly
> lager whereas traditional British beer is one form or another of ale. Very
> different beers.

Most beer drunk is Britain appears to be mass-produced horsepiss, same as
the US. The brands are different, but it still has to be served sufficiently
cold so you don't get to taste how foul it is.

Anybody who finds themselves in London should ping me and I'll show them
some backstreet boozers that do some cracking beer. Some of it's even
American beer.

> Of course none of this comes to close to proper (hard) cider, which should
> be still, cloudy, strip the enamel from your teeth, claw down your throat
> and sit uneasily in your stomach. And preferably have a fearsome name like
> "Swamp Donkey" :)

The Coach and Horses just off Leicester Square quite often sells cider or
perry that needs a knife and fork to drink. And now I've started thinking
about it, I know where I'm going to after work...

(To be vaguely back on-topic, they have Internet access in the pub.)