[rescue] iBasketcase

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Sat Jan 19 15:09:38 CST 2008

We've been gifted with a much-the-worse-for-wear Powerbook Titanium
Onyx, Apple model # M8407.  It has no battery, power supply, or hard
disk; the Airport card is missing; I have no idea how much RAM is
present because I have no idea where to look for it; the case screws are
missing, parts of the case are badly corroded and there's green and
white corrosion products visible in various places.  The optical drive
is present and seems intact, keyboard looks fine, screen is somewhat
scuffed but looks physically undamaged, though one of the hinges is
broken and the display data harness is badly frayed where it passes
through the broken hinge (at least one wire is broken).  The top and
bottom case and the display housing seem mechanically sound, but the
bezel has holes eaten through it and the case finish is peeling in
various places.

At a quick survey of salvage places etc, even with used parts, it looks
like it'd need about $700 in parts to resurrect it, even before
considering RAM and hard disk.  Considering comparable TiBooks can be
found in the $200-$300 range on eBay, this doesn't seem cost-effective.

Anyone want it for parts for shipping from 03249?

--
   Phil Stracchino, CDK#2         ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
   alaric at caerllewys.net            alaric at metrocast.net
           It's not the years, it's the mileage.