[rescue] bulk erasing DLT tapes (or, more specifically, NOT)

Curious George jorge234q at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 19 13:50:59 CST 2008

--- "Curtis H. Wilbar Jr." <rescue at hawkmountain.net>
wrote:

> This all started as I have tons of 20G formatted DLT
> IV tapes, but now have a VS80 drive (40G format)....

I have a pair of (very large) degaussers.  Never
had a problem eraseing any kind of media with just
a few seconds on each side.

I run the degausser over the side of the tape, then
rotate it ~90 degrees and repeat.  Then, flip the
tape and do the wsame thing.  Probably 30 seconds
from start to finish for the whole tape.

Then, pull the degausser away from the tape (I use
my outstretched arms to "measure" ~6 ft) before
turning off the field.

Of course, I do this out in the hallway so I know
I am nowhere near anything that might be upset by
such a strong field!  :>

Most of my DLTs are *not* VS80's -- so I can just
push the "density override" button to select the new
density desired.  Note that this is written to the
tape when the tape is first used so you can't
expect to change it on-the-fly (though you can
turn compression on/off at will)