[rescue] AS/400? Anyone?

Scott Quinn compoobah at valleyimplants.com
Fri Jan 18 10:19:17 CST 2008

On Jan 18, 2008, at 6:21 AM, Geoffrey wrote:

> You could not, as I understand it, boot the native AS/400 version
> of the
> virtual machine on a POWER computer, you can only run the emulation of
> the virtual computer it emulated.
>
> What makes it dead and gone in my book is that the native instruction
> set, which at one time ran on a real computer is no longer supported
> on anything.

I can't recall what the original processor's name was, but it wasn't
AS/400 - AS/400 was always (AFAIK) the name for the complete HW/
interface package presenting the AS/400 MI interface, which the new
AS/400s do.

If you're saying that the only reason for having iSeries and pSeries
is marketing, then it's likely you're right, but remember that
processor-wise the current POWERs have changed a bit because of the
AS/400's moving to POWER - so in that case have both the AS/400 and
the RS/6000 died?

What is your take on the HP9000 and HP3000 then?