[rescue] AS/400? Anyone?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Jan 18 10:24:35 CST 2008

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> The way I interpret this is that the AS/400 ran an "improved" System
> 38 emulator,

No, the AS/400 -also- ran a S/38 emulator.  There is actual code written
against TIMI (the instruction set provided by the virtual-architecture
side of the AS/400), and that code will not run on an S/38 for a variety
of reasons.

> and the RS6000 runs a hardware assited version of the same emulation,
> now ported to the RS6000.

Except there were POWER-based AS/400 machines in the middle that were
definitely -not- RS/6000 architecture systems.

> I also interpret what you said to mean that the actual AS/400
> instruction set is not emulated or run natively by anything, so that
> makes it (again IMHO) dead and gone.

The underlying hardware instruction set isn't, but since all "AS/400"
software was written against TIMI, the underlying hardware is but a
means to an end.

--
Jonathan Patschke
Elgin, TX