[rescue] AS/400? Anyone?

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Jan 17 22:49:27 CST 2008

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 03:48:05PM -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> They had AS/400 CPUs.  They were CISC CPUs based off the design of the
> System/38 processors, but with a System/370-ish instruction set
> (underneath the portability layer).

That's an interesting question. If the POWER processors were extended to
add the necesary instructions to run AS400 code, are they AS400's or
RS6000's? Do they run OS400? Do they actually run the code natively or
is it some form of hardware enhnaced emulation?

This is not new, the first IBM Systems 360 (the model 30) ran
1401 emulation. I started out as a program which took over the
system and made your computer a "1401" and ended up as another
batch job.

For example, this computer I am using now happens to have an AMD Duron
processor in it, but I can boot MVS, VM/370, Tops-10 and a whole bunch
of microcomputer operating systems, video game stand alone programs,
etc. on it, but it is not any of them.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838