[rescue] AS/400? Anyone?

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 13:47:26 CST 2008

On 17 Jan 2008, at 19:28, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 02:14:34PM -0500, Ethan O'Toole wrote:
>> Anyone want a AS/400? 3 cabinet system, complete?
>
> Does IBM still sell AS/400's?
>
> I have some very anti AS/400 opinions and the effect they had on IBM's
> finances when the company stopped selling low end 370's to force
> customers
> to buy AS400's, and said so on another mailing list. (circa 1990-1991)
>
> I also said that now, IBM is concentrating on Z/390's and RS6000's,
> with the AS400's gone.
>
> Details or corrections would be appreciated.

Only person I know who worked on AS/400 thinks they are the spawn of
Satan. I believe eventually the company in question migrated to RS/
6000 and ended up with a huge server room with a small clump of RS/
600s looking lonely in 1 corner and an Air-con unit they didn't need
anymore :)

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: