[rescue] Sun Monitor Sanity Check

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Jan 16 22:23:58 CST 2008

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Joshua Boyd wrote:

> I've been using an Apple CRT (17" to match a sawtooth) as a display
> first on Ultra 5 onboard graphics, then on a Raptor 64, and that was
> happy.

Both of which do PC-style component-sync.

> Now I'm trying to use the same monitor on a Sun Expert3D, and I don't
> even get a the initial open firmware boot stuff displayed.

All the Sun color framebuffers with 13w3 ports that I've ever seen
demand composite sync.

> Is it reasonable to expect this monitor to work on this graphics card,
> given a proper 13w3->VGA adapter?

Could be.

> There isn't any chance that this card is trying to demand SoG is there?

That'd be Very Strange for a Sun framebuffer.

> Considering how badly the monitor reacts when presented with both SoG
> and composite sync, I don't think this monitor is SoG compatible.

If you know that the display doesn't do composite sync, that's almost
certainly your problem.  If you're using an off-brand adapter to go from
the 13w3 port, that might also be your problem.  I can mail you a
Sun-badged one, if you like.

--
Jonathan Patschke
Elgin, TX