[rescue] Wisdom of the Collective: Previously working UPS reporting unbalanced load

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Mon Jan 14 19:10:57 CST 2008

Back in November, we moved 60 miles north from Merrimack to Gilford.  In
the house we were renting in Merrimack, Merrimack, I'd wired a 30-amp
circuit off the breaker panel to a dedicated outlet for my SU3000RM UPS.
  The outlet was about 3 feet from the panel.  The UPS worked fine.

Today, I finally wired in a 30-amp circuit here, terminating next to
where I chose to sit the rack.  It's about 30 feet from the panel now.
The UPS didn't to my knowledge get any excessively rough handling on the
trip.  However, when powered up, it now panics out of POST complaining
about unbalanced load.  I've tried it both with no load at all and with
largish monitors connected to all three output circuits.

Anyone got any ideas?  Is there any way I could have miswired the
circuit that would appear to give me the correct voltages on the correct
wires but cause the UPS to have a load balancing problem?  Is there
anything that could be wrong with the house power that could have such
an effect?

--
   Phil Stracchino, CDK#2         ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
   alaric at caerllewys.net            alaric at metrocast.net
           It's not the years, it's the mileage.