[rescue] Interactive Unix questions

Walter Belgers walter+rescue at belgers.com
Thu Jan 10 02:25:58 CST 2008

On Jan 10, 2008, at 9:12, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> Note that Interactive was not a Kodak company for most of it's
> life. Kodak bought them to try to get away from Sun. They had a
> product that was a "print it yourself" photo kiosk that was
> based on a lunchbox Sun and SunOS. Kodak bought Interactive
> to try to replace the Sun with PC's.
>
> Eventualy they gave up and sold Interactive to Sun.
>
> Interactive UNIX became the basis of SunOS 5, aka Solaris 2,
> combined with Sun's then developmental versions of a similar
> product.

I always thought (but don't know where I got this from - this list?)
that Sun had problems porting SunOS to i386 for their 386i system.
Eventually, they just bought a UNIX that would run on i386 (i.e.
Interactive UNIX) so they could finish SunOS/386i a bit sooner by just
porting the missing drivers.

Walter.