[rescue] geeks.com data breech

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 8 10:03:31 CST 2008

>From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
>Date: 2008/01/08 Tue AM 09:25:04 CST
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] FC-AL drives on sale at geeks.com

>Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> Well, OK, but to be honest, they have had (I guess) one security breech in
10-
>> 12 years, and they did the right thing (notified customers that might have
>> been at risk).
>
>... A month after they discovered it ...

>From the article linked to, it says "recently discovered" Dec. 5th breech,
email sent on Jan. 4th - sounds to me like it *may* have happened on Dec. 5th
or it was discovered on Dec. 5th. If the former, then I don't have a problem
with the "delay" (they could have discovered the breech on Jan 3rd, and after
determining the scope sent the email out on the 4th), but if the breech
occurred before Dec. 5th and they waited until Jan 4th, then I have a problem
with it.

Without clarification, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but I
understand the opposite opinion others might have (how generous of me ;^)

Lionel