[rescue] flash failure

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Jan 1 10:36:20 CST 2008

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
> Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
>>

>>> Looks like the flash is soldered to the mobo, and the manual does not
>>> mention any sort of floppy recovery procedure...
>>>
>> Gigabyte says:
>>
>>    http://www.gigabyte.eu/Support/Motherboard/FAQ_Model.aspx?FAQID=1504&ProductID=1768
>>
>> So there may or may-not be a feature there to restore the firmware
>> image.  I've no clue how you'd activate it, but it's called "Xpress BIOS
>> Rescue".
>>

> Sadly, it appears for this to work, you had to be running Windows, and
> had to have
> this option installed... it somehow recovers from the hard disk....
> (versus a floppy
> like Award).
>
> Sadly, unless Gigabyte sends me a new ROM (doubtful), and I want to
> attempt to remove
> and solder in the replacement, I think this mb is dumpster bound.  It is
> the last Gigabyte
> product I'll own unless Gigabyte does something to remedy (for me) their
> shoddy design/
> firmware/updater mess.  This WAS a perfectly good board.
>
> The vendors have always said don't update the BIOS unless you have a
> need to ( didn't
> specifically have a 'real' need to).... now I know why... they know this
> stuff can fail
> to easily (even when done right).

The one GigaByte board I have has a dual-BIOS feature.  You can choose
which EEPROM to boot from, update one or the other, and copy one to the
other, and if you bork the primary it'll automatically boot from the
secondary.

--
  Phil Stracchino, CDK#2         ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
  alaric at caerllewys.net            alaric at metrocast.net
          It's not the years, it's the mileage.