[rescue] E450 free for pickup in 84094

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Wed Feb 27 13:24:12 CST 2008

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Patrick Finnegan wrote:

> On Wednesday 27 February 2008 04:06, Jonathan Groll wrote:
>> How much higher is the electricity consumption of an equivalently
>> loaded E450 (ie. two CPUs only) when compared with an U60/80? Has
>> anyone measured this? For me power consumption is now the most
>> critical factor when accepting free machines for home use (and its
>> summer here in the southern hemisphere, I really don't want extra
>> heat right now!).
>
> I doubt it's much higher assuming you have the same processors, memory,
> and disk.  I haven't measured this, however.  E450s aren't all
> that "dense" as far as power consumption goes, perhaps unless you fill
> them with 15kRPM disks and high-power PCI cards or something ;)

We had to do these calculations, and my co-worker found a chart that gave
power requirements for all internal components. I can't find that now, but
the Sun E450 doc 805-2321-14 pdf says: a single PS is enough for max
memory, one Elite 3D graphics card, 3 PCI cards, four internal disks, a
CDROM and up to two CPUs.

You need a second PS (it says) if you have more than four internal drives,
more than three CPUs or more than one Elite3D graphics card.

We needed two power supplies just to run it and three to have a spare...

Steve