[rescue] - hosts.txt from early or mid-1980's

Ahmed Ewing aewing at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 02:13:39 CST 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 10:35 PM, Scott Mickey <mickey at denver.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  Before DNS, there was just a single hosts.txt file.
>  Everyone downloaded it from SRI-NIC (anon ftp to 10.0.0.73).
>  Many RFC's and web pages about the history of DNS describe
>  the hosts.txt file.  However, I cannot find an actual
>  hosts.txt file from the early or mid-1980's.
>  RFC 920, dated October 1984, talks about a temporary
>  Top Level Domain = .arpa and several new TLD's:
>  .gov, .edu, .com, .mil, and .org.
>  I would like to see a version of hosts.txt that has these
>  "new" TLD's.  I am fairly certain such a hosts.txt was
>  being maintained before DNS (BIND) was widely deployed.

Here's one from '88:
http://pdp-10.trailing-edge.com/bb-ev83b-bm/01/new-system/hosts.txt.html

>  Why do I want an old hosts.txt?
>  I am curious to see a list of the first 100 or so .com
>  domains in existence.

IMHO, that would be a pretty masochistic way to get your list--there's
no concept of chronology within them and there's *lots* of lines to
parse. Luckily, the dirty work has already been done for you:
http://www.jottings.com/100-oldest-dot-com-domains.htm

Hope that helps,

-A