[rescue] Voyager keyboard connection

Sun Feb 24 16:07:49 CST 2008

> I just found time to start working on my Sparcstation Voyager and
> discovered that while I have the keyboard that goes with it, it lacks
> a keyboard cable.

> Quick question(s):
> 1.  Should a Type 6 keyboard work with a Voyager?
> 2.  Failing that, does anyone have a spare keyboard cable that will
>     work with a Voyager?

In my experience, a Voyager is functionally just like any other Sun
using miniDIN-8 for keyboard/mouse.  However, I "my experience" means
using older keyboards, not newer keyboards - I normally use a type-3 -
so, while I feel moderately confident the interface is electrically
compatible, I don't know whether the ROM code will actually work with a
type-6.

As for keyboard cables, any miniDIN8-to-miniDIN8 cable with all 8 pins
wired straight through ought to work, seems to me.  (If you're trying
to obtain such a cable elsewhere, some older Mac printer cables
qualify, and of course Sun made a lot of such cables too.)

Well, that's assuming your keyboard uses miniDIN8; I don't know the
type-6.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca