[rescue] Looking for tips and advice on laptop disassembly

James Fogg James at jdfogg.com
Sun Feb 24 08:08:54 CST 2008

>     I'm looking for advice on how to get a Gateway W323-UI1 type
laptop
> apart.  Specifically, I need to disconnect the display and CCFL lamps
> as I think they're pulling the PSU down and keeping the thing from
> doing anything.  The intent is to take an otherwise completely dead
> piece of kit and turn it into a small compute server that can be
> easily hidden; hence no need for the display (hooking it to a monitor
> will be fine for initial installation and configuration).
>
>     I'm normally pretty adept at getting things apart and back
together,
> but this thing has me stumped.

Look for adhesive rubber bumpers and pop-in rubber caps that hide screw
heads. Look for labels and press your fingers hard over them to reveal
little craters in the label that are caused by screw holes under the
label. Even with screws out, the plastic panels may have slot/tab
mountings holding them in place. Remove every door you find (battery,
modem, memory access door, etc.), for they hide screws too.