[rescue] XTERMS - was: Free: Sparcstation 1/1+/2/5, U5, monitors, cables.

Louis Erickson lerickson at rdwarf.net
Wed Feb 20 10:13:21 CST 2008

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008, Lionel Peterson wrote:

[Regarding Network Over Power Lines]
> Well, MMV, but I recall it being fine. Of course, I wasn't backing up huge
> filesystems across said connection - just simple file transfers and HTTP/FTP
> access out internet connection (cable modem up to 4+ Meg/sec download
> speeds)...

I've tried them and had mixed results.  It depends on the building and on
the power from the power company.

I've had much better results with 802.11 using an access point and a
bridge on the far end.  The bridge can even use a directional antenna if
you need just a little more reach.  They're not too expensive - certainly
less expensive than the outdoor cable - and they work pretty well.

--
Louis Erickson - lerickson at rdwarf.net - http://www.rdwarf.com/~wwonko/

The primary requisite for any new tax law is for it to exempt enough
voters to win the next election.